Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Fun map project I'm working on.

Keep the chat off the HOMETOWN thread on the Minetest forum, and indulge in all your server chat here! Please keep it on-topic, visit the off-topic thread if you must talk about your lunch or Guest1337.
Just thought I'd share one of the things I've been working on.
Some of you know I've been working on mapping the server so it can be explored via your web browsers. It's involved a bunch of work with so darn many moving parts. But it's starting to come together. Eventually this map will be generated every evening and hopefully during slower times as the script takes a ton of resources to generate the (over) 1 GIG (and growing) of image tiles.
The map will also show player movements in realtime, with clickable player icons (with their current skin). The latest feature that's kicking my butt is a map overlay that shows every protection block and badge above ground level, up to roughly cloud height. The pro's are shown as a colored square marking the precise boundaries of the protection. The colors are generated by the players name to help determine grouping.
I have it working, but it's laggy as heck. Zooming out shows so much data that the browser begs for mercy, and zooming in to a more manageable size is buggy and unpredictable.
You can click on the colored squares to learn the owner and the position of the protection.
Buggy as heck.... but so freaking cool :)

Attachments

Yep. It's looking awesome. If you haven't added this already: A scrollbar on the player list would be very useful
Will we be able to click on prot areas to see who owns them?
Also, showing the IOKA areas but toggleable might be nice or something.
This is a super cool system !!! And I find my name in the screenshot attachment :P
Is my name pink?
Speedy2021 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 pm
Is my name pink?
Amazingly as the colors honestly are generated according to the spelling of the name.... yours are hot pink!!! TinedStarlings ended up blue as shown next to yours. Mine are orange. Kibbies are dark blue. I think ChimneySwifts are light pink :P
micah-pro.jpg
micah-pro.jpg (151.57 KiB) Viewed 71 times
ExeterDad wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 pm
Speedy2021 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 pm
Is my name pink?
Amazingly as the colors honestly are generated according to the spelling of the name.... yours are hot pink!!! TinedStarlings ended up blue as shown next to yours. Mine are orange. Kibbies are dark blue. I think ChimneySwifts are light pink :P
micah-pro.jpg
YAY PINK!!!!!!!! XD
LOL, it's looking awesome!
What are you using to draw the protection boxes? jw
And I'm green, yay!
This guy's protection habits, smh. Glad I got the land I needed in time.