Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Better jail

If you've seen something awesome that we may enjoy on HOMETOWN... please let us know about it.
I have noticed the steadily rising amount of jail escapees and i request that the jail should be upgraded and harder to escape, so people dont keep escaping.
Sasuke_Uchiha wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:14 am
I have noticed the steadily rising amount of jail escapees and i request that the jail should be upgraded and harder to escape, so people dont keep escaping.
The ability to escape from the jail is a feature. It's designed to slow down repeated spawn killers long enough for people to clear away from the spawn point. The jailbed is one way to be released from jail. You sleep in it for one minute, then you can click the button to leave jail and your name is cleared, and you lose the jail clothing.
If you want to be a rebel, you can "escape" out the back door and go through a course. When completed, you exit far from spawn, but still retain the jail clothing. If you are killed, or exit the game. You return into jail. There's also a reward for killing jail escapees.

If we make it where you are stuck in jail for two long, people have better things to do and will simply leave the server. We used to have the sleep time in the beds at two minutes. It upset many regular players.
/me thinks PvP should just be disabled at spawn.

/me runs
Since it hasn't been explicitly mentioned, remember that the time it takes to escape is actually longer than the time to be released by sleeping in the bed. For me it takes 1 minute and 15 seconds if I'm practiced and I speedrun it, for many players it takes a lot longer than this.

I think the idea of escaping is to provide entertainment rather than to provide a faster way to escape. While it does add an interesting game dynamic and I'm not at all suggesting that it is removed, I think the main issue with it is that it gamifies spawnkilling and encourages players to be "bad guys" by escaping and killing again rather than discouraging them by being a disruptive nuisance.
user2 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 am
Since it hasn't been explicitly mentioned, remember that the time it takes to escape is actually longer than the time to be released by sleeping in the bed. For me it takes 1 minute and 15 seconds if I'm practiced and I speedrun it, for many players it takes a lot longer than this.
I would pick the extra fifteen+ seconds of doing something over doing nothing for a minute...
user2 wrote:
I think the main issue with it is that it gamifies spawnkilling and encourages players to be "bad guys" by escaping and killing again
That's where the staff come in ;)
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:52 pm
user2 wrote:
I would pick the extra fifteen+ seconds of doing something over doing nothing for a minute...
I'm not saying that it's better to sleep in the bed. All I'm saying is that being able to escape doesn't reduce the time that players remain in jail for because it's at least as long as sleeping in the bed takes.
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:52 pm
user2 wrote:
I think the main issue with it is that it gamifies spawnkilling and encourages players to be "bad guys" by escaping and killing again
That's where the staff come in ;)
...when the staff are around.
user2 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:03 am
Get discord and join the other players who are helpfully reporting anything they see :P
(Staff are usually around. Just not on the server)
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:31 pm
user2 wrote:
Get discord and join the other players who are helpfully reporting anything they see :P
Not getting discord, sorry. Set up an IRC server and I'll be right on it.
user2 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm
LoneWolfHT wrote:
user2 wrote:
Your loss.
GreenDimond wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:27 pm
user2 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm
LoneWolfHT wrote:

Your loss.
Perhaps you wouldn't be so stark about it if you actually understood my reasons behind it but it's not like anyone actually tries to understand anyway. But the short answer is that I'm not breaking my morals over it.