Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

clear object every week

If you've seen something awesome that we may enjoy on HOMETOWN... please let us know about it.
R.I.P to my pets died by the clear object.

bunny01
bunny02
bunny03
bunny04
bunny05
bunny06
bunny07
bunny08
The only kitty
The golden sheep
bunny01 (catch new one and died again)
bunny02 (catch new one and died again)
The golden sheep (catch new one and died again)

Seriously, its true that clear object would help to reduce lag and eliminate some bad object. But it also create dissatisfaction of players. Player especially for girls like to have a pet at home. Recently, you can find that there are less players having a pet. The reason behind is player do not have regular practice for collecting the pet and some of them think its too trouble. Besides, some players had lost their pets because they forget to collect their pets or they have not online a week. After that, they do not willing to have a new one because they are sad that of lost their pet just like lost their baby.

Therefore would I suggest some win-win solutions to make balance between player satisfaction and the server performance?

1.The clear object will clear all mobs excluding protected mobs.
2.The clear object will clear all mobs excluding protected mobs AND player could only have limited protected mobs.
3.Reduce the frequency of clear object from weekly to Bi-weekly/ monthly. (This may help that some player have not online in a short period to collect their pet. This can also help player do not need to collect the pets so many times and create trouble to them)
Or we can remind our players even more.
Perhaps automatic notices throughout Sunday.

The weekly clear objects needs to happen. And forgotten/abandoned/lost pets need to be removed. And of course minecarts.
Players used to complain about losing pets anyway because someone killed them (they never protected their pets) or they drowned or whatever. At least if players have fewer pets then there won't be as much whining about them in chat, and it's not like disabling the clearobjects or finding a way to preserve pets during it is going to stop the whining.

Although more generally I think it would be useful to have a selective clearobjects command and I hope that this feature is added to Minetest soon.
do we have some stats of what is cleared on a daily base? i know from my mining trips there must be full stacks of ores there
Bob8881 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:54 am
do we have some stats of what is cleared on a daily base? i know from my mining trips there must be full stacks of ores there
No, ores are not cleared. Clearobjects clears all "objects" in the game, rather than blocks. "Objects" (technically referred to as "entities") are not blocks, they are not placed like blocks and cannot be dug like blocks. I think this is an exhaustive list of objects on HOMETOWN:
  • Mobs (animals and monsters), including tame and protected mobs
  • Minecarts
  • Item frame and pedestal contents (the contents are not lost, just the visual display is, but it is recreated automatically next time the item frame loads)
  • Armor stand contents (again the contents are not lost, just the visual display, and again they are recreated automatically)
  • Items that have been dropped on the ground (although these despawn automatically anyway)
EDIT: Apparently also soccer balls, although they aren't used very often.
>Items that have been dropped on the ground (although these despawn automatically anyway)

these... obviously i meant the ore stacks (item) that are placed by a TNT explosion...

and no... they have a lifetime of infinite on hometown. they won't despawn
Bob8881 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:49 pm
and no... they have a lifetime of infinite on hometown. they won't despawn
???
I think I've seen items despawn... maybe that was somewhere else.

Or we can remind our players even more.
Perhaps automatic notices throughout Sunday.

The weekly clear objects needs to happen. And forgotten/abandoned/lost pets need to be removed. And of course minecarts.
I have to agree with EDad on this one, sorry.
Now I understand what you meant about stacks. Yeah any item drop becomes a entity that spins on the ground. TNT is no exception. The ttl (time to live) in our minetest.conf has not been set, so the game will use the default: item_entity_ttl = 900
900 seconds = 15 minutes. So the entities will spin for 15 minutes before de-spawning.

Nice list user2
Off the top of my head it's pretty complete with the exception of the soccer balls. Those never go away unless picked up or with clearobjects. Which is a pain as they get stuck in nodes so easily.

Oh yeah. Chickens get stuck easily. Stupid chickens.
ExeterDad wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm
Off the top of my head it's pretty complete with the exception of the soccer balls. Those never go away unless picked up or with clearobjects. Which is a pain as they get stuck in nodes so easily.
Soccer balls? Don't those only show up when there's actually a soccer game on? And why would they be immune to clearobjects, unless they're saved somewhere and recreated automatically?
Never said they were immune to clearobjects. However I did say they can only be removed by picking up OR clearobjects.

The soccerballs and soccer field parts are not a complete gaming system. To avoid soccer ball spam, I made it so only staff can pick them up or place them for a game. However the balls get kicked into nodes very easily and can not be retrieved so usually they exist until the weekly clearobjects.