Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

clear object every week

If you've seen something awesome that we may enjoy on HOMETOWN... please let us know about it.
user2 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 pm
ExeterDad wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm
Off the top of my head it's pretty complete with the exception of the soccer balls. Those never go away unless picked up or with clearobjects. Which is a pain as they get stuck in nodes so easily.
Soccer balls? Don't those only show up when there's actually a soccer game on? And why would they be immune to clearobjects, unless they're saved somewhere and recreated automatically?
You misread his post. He said your list lacked a mention of soccer balls. They are cleared by clearobjects.
I agree the list of clear object but how about excluding protected mob in the list? Protected mob only a small part of proportion in the server. The main reason to cause laggy should be the cart, mob spawning in wild, and armor stand.
Mobs spawning in the wild will de-spawn in a short time if out of range of the players view. Tamed mobs (pets) do not de-spawn. If all your pet chickens get stuck in walls you can't get them unless you dig them out. If you go on a month vacation, nobody can dig them out because the blocks that need dug out are protected by you.
can you store the location a tamed mob is placed first into the world and just reset the mob if that information exist? i think that would solve the mob in wall problem...

i sure would like to make some sort of farm with 1000 animals per chunk, but with the reset that's impossible :roll:

edit: actually that would cause a lot of stress to the cleanup process. animals will not stay in the chunk they started in... hmm
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 pm
user2 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 pm
ExeterDad wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm
Off the top of my head it's pretty complete with the exception of the soccer balls. Those never go away unless picked up or with clearobjects. Which is a pain as they get stuck in nodes so easily.
Soccer balls? Don't those only show up when there's actually a soccer game on? And why would they be immune to clearobjects, unless they're saved somewhere and recreated automatically?
You misread his post. He said your list lacked a mention of soccer balls. They are cleared by clearobjects.
Yeah I got it now... :oops:
pangland wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:27 am
I agree the list of clear object but how about excluding protected mob in the list? Protected mob only a small part of proportion in the server.
You can't exclude any particular object/entity from clearobjects. The only way to "preserve" an object is to recreate it afterwards. I suppose you could save the tamed mob information periodically and restore it if the mob goes missing (although determining if the mob is in fact missing would be somewhat difficult and you could end up with duplicate mobs). I still think a selective clearobjects is required (filter by entity name and also allow entities to request that they are not cleared unless specifically overridden).