Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Tnt mining

If you've seen something awesome that we may enjoy on HOMETOWN... please let us know about it.
Could we have that when we tnt mine ores do not just drop on random places, they drop on one same place, right in center of sphere? That would be nice.
Edit: I think that is how tnt mining on jt2 work
Hood wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:48 pm
Could we have that when we tnt mine ores do not just drop on random places, they drop on one same place, right in center of sphere? That would be nice.
Edit: I think that is how tnt mining on jt2 work
They drop from the area they were actually at during the time of the blast. Although there is some side movement as they fall.

Nemo has reworked TNT code since she took over JT2 so I've no idea what she's done. Before she reworked, the drops used to be in a tight group. And the drops were not what was actually in the ground. The numbers were inflated as well. Maikerumine (original JT2) had his TNT code on github for a while, not sure if it's still there or not. Back in those days drops were even easier to find as the blast hole was very square with a flat bottom. Not the case with current TNT as the holes are more spherical and have random edges.

Our TNT is much like the default TNT and I think we should keep it that way.
ExeterDad wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:27 pm
Maikerumine (original JT2) had his TNT code on github for a while, not sure if it's still there or not. Back in those days drops were even easier to find as the blast hole was very square with a flat bottom. Not the case with current TNT as the holes are more spherical and have random edges.

Our TNT is much like the default TNT and I think we should keep it that way.
FYI Maike still has it yeah https://github.com/maikerumine/just_tes ... r/mods/tnt but one glance at the code and it seems to be using minetest.remove_node ... More recent versions of the TNT mod from default use a VoxelManip whose volume is determined by the exploding TNT node and any adjacent ones, which is way more efficient and easy on the server :)
i must say even if it's hard to find the drops i prefer it the current way... some of the drops from a big TNT blast end up inside stone/gravel/sand and you can't find them... i played with the idea to try writing a CSM that follows pickup distance so you would just have to run around a bit... but ultimately it would make TNT way too powerful... more than it is right now.