Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Mobs still spawning?

If you've seen something awesome that we may enjoy on HOMETOWN... please let us know about it.
Did the mob spawn rate change? I was in my mines for 30 minutes and did not run into a single mob :shock:

I usually get them, even in lit areas (or I should say, the darker patches in the lit areas in my caves)

So was wondering if something changed re. the mobs, or if they are borken ;)
IIRC mobs only spawn on unprotected land. Since most of the land near spawn is now protected, I haven't noticed them anywhere near as often (I mostly hang around on my land near spawn). I have still come across them further from spawn.

Also during Halloween they were changed to spawn everywhere, even on protected land, so you might've noticed a lot more of them then.
A couple weeks ago I did drop the spawn rate of the mobs and cut back on how many would spawn in a area at the same time. I also shrunk the radius from the player in which ABM's are triggered, so as a result the mobs wouldn't spawn further away from you and creep your direction, or be spawned too far ahead of you to be discovered when traveling.

The logs were hit roughly five times a second with warnings about ABM's taking longer than 200ms. Some of the times were in the 500ms range so I had to do something about it.
There are plenty of mobs spawning server wide. The logs confirm it. You'll see plenty of monsters while exploring vast areas such as caverns. But caves or tunnels that are "close quarters" with the player will have much less mobs spawned as they can only spawn from "floor" nodes, one in a 16x16 area as long as the player isn't in the same 16x16 area, and the ABM's that trigger the spawn are throttled to only allow so many in a specified time.

This combined with converting many of our ABM's to LBM and node timers have gotten rid of the warnings in the logs.
i can confirm there was an anomaly like at UTC ?-12 (17th Feb) when monster spawn rate dropped massively to like 0.x% of normal... after that the rate went back to normal... could it be related to flans failing to spawn? i haven't seen them spawn at all in the lava lakes i turned into obsidian... over hours of being there... coincidentally when i was finished with the lava lakes the spawn rate went back to normal...
Bob8881 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:45 pm
coincidentally when i was finished with the lava lakes the spawn rate went back to normal...
So it was you! JK :D Anyways, I did see a mese monster in today's mining run :) But guess you gotta do what you gotta do to get rid of those ABM timeouts, or them cows and horse and sheep go a flyin' :shock:
ExeterDad wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:52 pm
A couple weeks ago I did drop the spawn rate of the mobs and cut back on how many would spawn in a area at the same time. I also shrunk the radius from the player in which ABM's are triggered, so as a result the mobs wouldn't spawn further away from you and creep your direction, or be spawned too far ahead of you to be discovered when traveling.
I'd be curious to know the min and max player distance for mob spawning. Also, is it now chunk-based? I suppose it's all a secret...
I might do some experimentation.