Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Requesting Hopper default to drop to chest below

If you've seen something awesome that we may enjoy on HOMETOWN... please let us know about it.
This is annoying... placing a hopper above a chest makes it not put items into the chest...

you have to explicitly shift place it...

i am not sure if anyone can empty the hopper that is misconfigured that way
sorry it's much worse... you need to aim the hopper at the box while placing...

edit: while shift placing aiming at the box...
Bob8881 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 pm
This is annoying... placing a hopper above a chest makes it not put items into the chest...

you have to explicitly shift place it...

i am not sure if anyone can empty the hopper that is misconfigured that way
I'm not sure I understand what your saying? The hopper doesn't feed a chest? Or you don't like that a hopper needs shift placed onto a chest. I think everything needs shift placed onto a chest or it will open the chest.
if you place the hopper by aiming at the wall behind it will default to a configuration that puts the output aiming at the wall.
with the screwdriver you can then change the configuration to aim at any of the 4 directions, not down...

if you use sneak/shift placement it will also aim at the same wall, except if you aim at the chest/down, then it will place the hopper in the most commonly used configuration... downwards...

but then thinking about slab/slope and other placements i *think* that they mostly default to a flat/downward configuration with sneak/shift placement... oh well... sorry i think i am just a bit unhappy with the overall placement/rotation logic
Bob8881 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 am
but then thinking about slab/slope and other placements i *think* that they mostly default to a flat/downward configuration with sneak/shift placement... oh well... sorry i think i am just a bit unhappy with the overall placement/rotation logic
Soooo, basically if the node that the hopper is placed on has no inventory it should default to connecting downwards?
if the node that you aim at is the node that it is placed on yes, i think that would work... but if you think about it... any node with inventory already requires sneak/shift clicking if you aim at it...
The hoppers are also side hoppers. If you place on a chest while pointing down, they are up/down hoppers. If you place it on the side of a node (chest, furnace, side hopper etc) they turn into side hoppers. The flow then goes sideways rather than up and down.
Placing any kind of node on a chest requires SHIFT+right-click. So placing a hopper on a chest would natuarally be the same way.

Also I made the hoppers support handling tools and preserving the wear. No more free repairs :P
All written books now can be placed in hoppers without losing the contents as well. Hoppers, side hoppers, and sorters support the changes. This will take affect after restart in a few hours.

Edit: Oh yeah, the side hoppers can now feed into the sides of a hopper. There can be four side hoppers feeding into one hopper on all four sides, then the flow can go straight down.