Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Requesting some way to place slabs in a specific position

If you've seen something awesome that we may enjoy on HOMETOWN... please let us know about it.
i need to place a lot of slabs with param2 = 20 i think, slab glued to the ceiling... is there some way or possibility to just place them all in that one configuration, no matter what my facing or sneak is?

i know i could just put a ceiling first, but thats placing and then removing a ton of blocks. the screwdriver ain't that much of a help either... minimum one additional action per block
Any mod could do it for you using the replacer tool. You just set one as you need it, they clone it, and place away with the same param2 as the original.

It's the only tool we have that will do this. And it's staff only I'm afraid.
There is a way to do it without placing a ceiling first, if you look at the edge of the adjacent slab and place while holding down the sneak key. This will place the slab in the top space (like a ceiling), and the direction in which you are facing is used as the orientation (around the Z axis) of the slab.

Not sure if this helps, it might be easier than putting a dirt ceiling in first but you did say "no matter what my facing or sneak is"...
holding sneak always places it in the lower flat position. i want it to be the upper one... i don't see how to get it working like you describe
The screwdriver or a similar tool should be able to save rotations :thinking:

If you want I could place them with a replacer but that's the only thing I can think of.
Bob8881 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 pm
holding sneak always places it in the lower flat position. i want it to be the upper one... i don't see how to get it working like you describe
Place the slab on the top part of the side of a block. Should work...
does this maybe only work with a specific type of slab? i try white baked clay slabs and i can not get it working
Bob8881 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:52 am
does this maybe only work with a specific type of slab? i try white baked clay slabs and i can not get it working
Weird. I just tested it with white baked clay slab and it seems that they in fact do not behave the same way.
so what type of slabs is working that way?

i would really like the same behavior for (white) baked clay slabs.
i would also like a similar behavior for (white) baked clay stairs. Means: when placed on the upper side with sneak, they should default to facing down... i think this is more complicated as param2 can be one of 4 values for these:
north: 8
east: 17
south: 22
west:15

there is also param1... i have no idea what param1 does for these stairs...
Bob8881 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 pm
so what type of slabs is working that way?
Wood, stone, pretty much everything else. I'm not sure why baked clay doesn't, assuming that this is the baked clay mod on the server (it's the only one that I could find) it registers the clay stairs and slabs using whatever stairs mod is used on the server (which is the same as how other stairs and slabs are registered). I'm not sure why this one behaves differently.