Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

eddd griefed the bank

Keep the chat off the HOMETOWN thread on the Minetest forum, and indulge in all your server chat here! Please keep it on-topic, visit the off-topic thread if you must talk about your lunch or Guest1337.
ExeterDad wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:20 pm
So what's a Admin to do here?
Am I expected to ban eddd because he buys out all your books at your configured price? The machine is designed to do exactly that. I do understand he's not following your intents... but unless the machine is coded to perform to suite your needs, you have to expect that the honor system will fail.

Edit: Yeah I got the buy/sell thing all backwards. But I'm in a rush and can't repost right now. But the point is still the same.
No, there's a bigger picture here. This isn't about a specific incident. This is about eddd's overall annoying (and rude or possibly even abusive) behavior that a majority of players dislike. I cannot understand why nothing is being, or has been, done about eddd. Everyone that I've spoken to dislikes him, including a lot of the staff. I consider the lack of any action being taken to be a display of favoritism. If he was anyone else he would've been banned long ago, but because you already knew him from elsewhere and he's been playing on the server since the beginning you let him get away with it (either that or you're falling into the "it's not against any rules" trap).
favoritism?
Hah ha! You yourself aren't looking at "the bigger picture" as you call it.
True, I know eddd from the past.
True, I don't hate him as many people do.
True, he's a pain in the butt.
True he needs spanking from time to time
And it's also true that I have no issue calling him out.
I just don't make a production about it as what I discuss with him (or how I do it) is of no concern of anyone else's.

I'm pretty certain you would appreciate the same treatment if you were in the hot seat. I'm certain you haven't stopped to think of exactly how many people I have personally banned, and even more specifically permabanned. When I ban, it's for blatent, no gray area actions. I don't let personal opinions (mine nor others), or server drama influence my choices. So please refrain your accusations stemmed from frustration, I'm only human, I might not always be capable of seeing past it and become offended myself.
ExeterDad wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm
favoritism?
Hah ha! You yourself aren't looking at "the bigger picture" as you call it.
True, I know eddd from the past.
True, I don't hate him as many people do.
True, he's a pain in the butt.
True he needs spanking from time to time
And it's also true that I have no issue calling him out.
I just don't make a production about it as what I discuss with him (or how I do it) is of no concern of anyone else's.

I'm pretty certain you would appreciate the same treatment if you were in the hot seat. I'm certain you haven't stopped to think of exactly how many people I have personally banned, and even more specifically permabanned. When I ban, it's for blatent, no gray area actions. I don't let personal opinions (mine nor others), or server drama influence my choices. So please refrain your accusations stemmed from frustration, I'm only human, I might not always be capable of seeing past it and become offended myself.
I know who's been banned in the past, and why. eddd is no grey area, and I'm not the only one frustrated here. I can name many players who are frustrated with the lack of action taken against eddd and the problem is a lot worse than you seem to think, it's practically tearing the server apart. Many players, including some of the ones that have posted in this thread, have described eddd as a bully or expressed frustration at the hindrance that he poses to fair trading. I have read many of the chat logs and his behavior in chat is often very immature and annoying (possibly deliberately).

As I see it, you've made up your mind to not ban eddd because you're friends with him and you're not looking at the situation as it is today or listening to concerns from other players. This server isn't your private playground and you have a responsibility to maintain an environment in which the regular/significant/dedicated players are comfortable. I have spoken to some of the regular players (including some of the staff) and they have all expressed dislike of eddd (for one reason or another) and/or wish that he was banned. I brought this matter up because you need to see exactly how much of a problem eddd is causing, and I encourage anyone else who has had similar experiences to bring them forward too so that you (and others) can see just how serious the situation really is.
user2 wrote: As I see it, you've made up your mind to not ban eddd because you're friends with him and you're not looking at the situation as it is today or listening to concerns from other players.
Never have I said eddd was my friend.
eddd has been the topic of many discussions, even debates between Kibbie and I at time better spent living our real lives rather than server politics.
Your wrong. The server IS my personal playground made available for others to participate in. And your also wrong with your assumptions of my "responsibilities" and or "obligations." I am bound to no contracts other than my promise to keep the server as family friendly as I can without completely pulling me away from my actual family or depleting my finances. And to keep the server as stable and reliable as I possibly can.
I'm sorry I'm not dealing with matters/drama/requests in a way you see fit. But at the same time, I am not. I am the kind of person who thinks carefully about every trivial decision. I look at a scenario from all possible angles possible before diving in. If I decide that I see a possible negative side affect, I will look for another approach before moving forward. To add to that... I do all these things in my time in a priority that I choose. If I was to scramble to fill every single need that comes onto my plate in the order that the needs arrive... I would have even more unfinished business and zero sleep and family time to show for it.

So please settle down before continuing with this rant of yours that has morphed into personal attacks on me. And know this. I have given my blessing to the staff to ban eddd quite a long time ago. I made it clear he is not "protected" by me. I also made it clear if he was to be banned, it must be for a concrete reason. Not because players (or staff) is displeased with his "style" of game play that hasn't broken any of our posted rules. This has been discussed many times in our "staff area" of the forums. And it's really none of your concern, but I'm throwing you a bone to show his behavior has not been ignored. But as I already stated. Any one of our staff may ban eddd, even permaban, and I will support it. But the reason needs to be valid. Yet he is still here. So don't be so quick to try to get under my skin in the future.

Fun fact: I don't respond as expected when told how I must do things. And I'm pretty sure you don't either.
ExeterDad wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:07 pm
I also made it clear if he was to be banned, it must be for a concrete reason. Not because players (or staff) is displeased with his "style" of game play that hasn't broken any of our posted rules. ... Any one of our staff may ban eddd, even permaban, and I will support it. But the reason needs to be valid.
This, right here, is the problem. eddd's skirting the rules so he can avoid being banned while causing as much trouble as possible. This is exactly the kind of situation where you need to recognise the spirit of the rules rather than the letter. If the rules prevent you from banning someone that everyone wants banned then you're missing the point of having rules in the problem. The implied rule 0 should always be "we can ban someone if everyone else hates them".

(Note to readers: "You" in the above post refers to anyone to whom it may apply and not just to ExeterDad.)
Not sure if anyone posted this elsewhere but here:
eddd wrote: Hi all! Just want to get everyone’s opinion. What do you all hate about me?:joy: the reason i ask is because user2 is saying you all dislike me. I would like to know what i can do different. I personally love you all and if at any point i annoyed you all or bullied you like some claim please let me know and ill change. The ones that get annoyed that im nice even when im being called names... i wont change that. Its not my fault you get annoyed that im nice when you want to argue or that i give gold for free. Thanks in advance for your replies as all i want to do is become a better team player. Its not even the fear of getting banned(been banned a few times when i didnt deserve it) its not about being liked either. Even if i become the perfect player, some will still hate me but idc. Someone post this in the hometown website so everyone can and i can get everyones opinion. Thank you all!! Love yalls!!
Just to save some time, my building and my land owning is not included. Some constantly call my builds ugly... i see many ugly builds but you dont see me calling them out. So not changing the way i build or what i own :smiley: and for the record, i offered land plenty of times for an entire year. I gave to those that said yes(jsnake i still owe you a plot) and also that ones that took it from me without asking im not mad. Just want to say ill be building more so all land is not being given away anymore. I offered for an entire year and those who accepted, good for you.
If you make friends with him he can be very nice. Instead of asking for eddd to be banned why not ask him to stop annoying you? Another one of his messages:
eddd wrote:Thank you all for the input. For the most part, the “story” should of ended a long time ago. After apologizing numerous times, people still keep pushing it and bringing up the past. I try to avoid not mentioning names or talking bad about other people when they are not around to defend themselves. But i find myself logging in to the game and seeing the chat filled with noobs saying why does [not saying names] hate eddd?? So i know there is trash talk about me while im not around. Thats why i want to know everything i did wrong to apologize for it.
The only reason i bring up user2 is because he insist on trash talking and making videos now about me. I wish he would talk to me during the game and tell me straight up. If someone can relay the message i would gladly talk to him and settle this. Thanks. I want to apologize to him. Not argue.
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:38 pm
Not sure if anyone posted this elsewhere but here:
eddd wrote: Hi all! Just want to get everyone’s opinion. What do you all hate about me?:joy: the reason i ask is because user2 is saying you all dislike me. I would like to know what i can do different. I personally love you all and if at any point i annoyed you all or bullied you like some claim please let me know and ill change. The ones that get annoyed that im nice even when im being called names... i wont change that. Its not my fault you get annoyed that im nice when you want to argue or that i give gold for free. Thanks in advance for your replies as all i want to do is become a better team player. Its not even the fear of getting banned(been banned a few times when i didnt deserve it) its not about being liked either. Even if i become the perfect player, some will still hate me but idc. Someone post this in the hometown website so everyone can and i can get everyones opinion. Thank you all!! Love yalls!!
Just to save some time, my building and my land owning is not included. Some constantly call my builds ugly... i see many ugly builds but you dont see me calling them out. So not changing the way i build or what i own :smiley: and for the record, i offered land plenty of times for an entire year. I gave to those that said yes(jsnake i still owe you a plot) and also that ones that took it from me without asking im not mad. Just want to say ill be building more so all land is not being given away anymore. I offered for an entire year and those who accepted, good for you.
If you make friends with him he can be very nice. Instead of asking for eddd to be banned why not ask him to stop annoying you? Another one of his messages:
eddd wrote:Thank you all for the input. For the most part, the “story” should of ended a long time ago. After apologizing numerous times, people still keep pushing it and bringing up the past. I try to avoid not mentioning names or talking bad about other people when they are not around to defend themselves. But i find myself logging in to the game and seeing the chat filled with noobs saying why does [not saying names] hate eddd?? So i know there is trash talk about me while im not around. Thats why i want to know everything i did wrong to apologize for it.
The only reason i bring up user2 is because he insist on trash talking and making videos now about me. I wish he would talk to me during the game and tell me straight up. If someone can relay the message i would gladly talk to him and settle this. Thanks. I want to apologize to him. Not argue.
It’s weird that I kinda admire eddd for saying that but honestly that takes guts to just spill that all out there, like everyone hating him and stuff, that must feel really bad tho :/ also eddd I’m sorry XD
but wooooow that took guts and it sounds like he wants it to stop....soooooo let’s just stop.....
user2 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:00 pm
ExeterDad wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:07 pm
I also made it clear if he was to be banned, it must be for a concrete reason. Not because players (or staff) is displeased with his "style" of game play that hasn't broken any of our posted rules. ... Any one of our staff may ban eddd, even permaban, and I will support it. But the reason needs to be valid.
This, right here, is the problem. eddd's skirting the rules so he can avoid being banned while causing as much trouble as possible. This is exactly the kind of situation where you need to recognise the spirit of the rules rather than the letter. If the rules prevent you from banning someone that everyone wants banned then you're missing the point of having rules in the problem. The implied rule 0 should always be "we can ban someone if everyone else hates them".

(Note to readers: "You" in the above post refers to anyone to whom it may apply and not just to ExeterDad.)
Also user2 I think you went wat to far on all of this like crossing the line, your telling EDad how to do his job XP also what the heck fire, “we can ban someone if everyone else hates them” that’s really unfair.
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:38 pm
If you make friends with him he can be very nice. Instead of asking for eddd to be banned why not ask him to stop annoying you?
I already tried that. I kindly asked him not to build gold towers next to my farm. He taunted me in chat and threatened to buy out my shop.

Also doesn't change the fact that I think his behavior overall is a problem. Building gold towers everywhere, bragging in chat about how rich he is, and exploiting the economy are problems that still need to be dealt with.
So you don’t like him as a person........you can’t change a person, I’ve learned that.