Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

eddd griefed the bank

Keep the chat off the HOMETOWN thread on the Minetest forum, and indulge in all your server chat here! Please keep it on-topic, visit the off-topic thread if you must talk about your lunch or Guest1337.
I agree eddd is the major bully in this server. So when I set the price of items each time, I have included the "price factor of eddd". Specially when you set a economic price.
pangland wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:44 pm
I agree eddd is the major bully in this server. So when I set the price of items each time, I have included the "price factor of eddd". Specially when you set a economic price.
I have this too, it's extremely annoying. It's impossible to sell things below a certain price otherwise eddd buys all of them.
pangland wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:44 pm
Yes, exactly.
Well that’s horrible.
Obviously ppl buy stuff from eddd, because they think he sells items cheapest. Most of shops are unknown to most of players.
Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 am
Obviously ppl buy stuff from eddd, because they think he sells items cheapest. Most of shops are unknown to most of players.
I don't think it's so much that they think he's cheapest but more that he's right at spawn. Most players just buy from the nearest shop and in this case it's eddd's shop. As is the case in the real world, people will pay higher prices closer to spawn (or other populated areas).

TL;DR eddd can sell at higher prices than the rest of us because people will pay for the convenience of not having to look any further to find the items that they want.
Unfortunately there isn't any server rule that states "thou shalt abide by the rules of the shopkeeper" or whatever, so there's not really anything staff can do, and any system which relies on every player that uses it doing as they've been asked isn't going to work unless you're willing to deal with these issues.

I agree that eddd buying everyone else's items and reselling them in his highly accessible shop is questionable, but not technically against the rules either.

The most I can do to help is suggest that eddd stick to more legitimate (and probably more profitable... like ~50 gold? really?) sources of revenue.
ChimneySwift wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 am
The most I can do to help is suggest that eddd stick to more legitimate (and probably more profitable... like ~50 gold? really?) sources of revenue.
I think it was more to be annoying than to get the gold. The same as filling PO boxes and stuff. I also heard a rumor that he did the same thing at Sky_Fall_II's library with the book depositing machine.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: eddd's behavior may not be explicitly against any specific rules but that doesn't mean that it isn't objectionable, widely disliked by players, and easy to justify punishment for. "It's not against the rules" is a stupid reason to let this kind of situation continue with no intervention (although I also think eddd's behavior falls quite clearly under the "no bullying/harassment" rule even if we ignore the implicit "don't annoy at least 75% of the server's regular userbase" "rule").
Where is rule that admin can only ban you for not following rules? :lol:
So what's a Admin to do here?
Am I expected to ban eddd because he buys out all your books at your configured price? The machine is designed to do exactly that. I do understand he's not following your intents... but unless the machine is coded to perform to suite your needs, you have to expect that the honor system will fail.

Edit: Yeah I got the buy/sell thing all backwards. But I'm in a rush and can't repost right now. But the point is still the same.