Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Bank opening photoshoot

Keep the chat off the HOMETOWN thread on the Minetest forum, and indulge in all your server chat here! Please keep it on-topic, visit the off-topic thread if you must talk about your lunch or Guest1337.
My bank opened today!

From left to right: user2 (manager), micah (cashier)

From left to right: ynomrah, user2 (manager), Emerald2

From left to right: ynomrah, user2 (manager), Emerald2

View the full album on imgur.
congrat :D
I checked it out, nice build, I like the choice of blocks. I have a couple of questions: 1) How will your ~stocks / shares system work? 2) What are your thoughts on offering interest on deposits? If I had a post box in spawn I might use it.
dingus wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:36 am
1) How will your ~stocks / shares system work?
A business will apply to offer shares. An initial starting price (within reason - i.e. not 999 gold per share) and number of shares is decided by the business. The price will change based on a number of factors, including the popularity of a particular share, the popularity or successfulness of the business, how much the business is developing, and so on. The business owner may apply to change the price, which will be considered but not guaranteed.

Shareholders buy shares through an automated system, but must sell back to the bank via a cashier (this is to prevent cheating). When selling shares back to the bank the bank will pay the current listed price for that share. Shareholders are free to trade shares directly with other players. Business owners are not allowed to own or trade their own shares and any business owners caught doing this will have their business removed from the stock exchange.

Business owners collect 75% of the sale of all shares from the bank, but must pay back 75% for all shares that are sold back to the bank.

Shares are only offered to businesses. You cannot offer shares for yourself as a person. For example you can offer shares in "dingus's mining shop" but not in "dingus".
dingus wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:36 am
2) What are your thoughts on offering interest on deposits?
All accounts currently come with an interest rate of 5% per week.

You don't really need a PO box for a bank account. Loans are harder to run without a PO box and shares are the most difficult (almost impossible). You can also use a hopper as an alternative, or if you're online regularly (at the same time as a bank manager) then you don't really need a PO box at all.
I'd like to enter my shop in. I have a LOT of gold that's just collecting dust in my chests
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:42 pm
I'd like to enter my shop in. I have a LOT of gold that's just collecting dust in my chests
Are you asking for a bank account or for shares? Personally I would recommend opening an account because then your gold can earn interest.
user2 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 pm
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Are you asking for a bank account or for shares? Personally I would recommend opening an account because then your gold can earn interest.
I'm applying to offer shares?
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:21 am
user2 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 pm
LoneWolfHT wrote:
I'm applying to offer shares?
Um OK, but I don't see what that has to do with the gold that's sitting in your chests. If you'd like to offer shares, you'll need to write a book stating
  • Your stock symbol
  • Your starting share price
  • The number of shares you'd like to offer
and give it to the bank.
Very cool, user2!! I am interested in learning more about this endeavor!
Kibbie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:51 am
Very cool, user2!! I am interested in learning more about this endeavor!
Go ahead, ask me whatever you want to know. Sorry, I'm not particularly good at just telling someone about something without prompting.