Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Protection placement tool function

I see the protection placement tool in the craft guide. I made one but can't figure out what it does or how it works. Can anyone enlighten me on its purpose?
I actually found out what it does a few weeks ago. I'll tell you what I found out. On HOMETOWN, protections protect 10 blocks in every direction. The tool will place another one 21 blocks away in the direction you're looking. Here's what I mean:

Code: Select all

u ->p s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s p
Where p=protection block, s=non-protection, and "u ->"= You and the direction you are looking.
That is awesome, that is really useful for me and my grid of protection blocks. I was counting them out one step at a time. lol Thanks for the info!
jSnake wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:54 am
That is awesome, that is really useful for me and my grid of protection blocks. I was counting them out one step at a time. lol Thanks for the info!
You're welcome buddy!
Place a protection block or badge the old fashioned way. Then with the tool in hand stand on the protection and face the direction you would like your next protector. Then click and it sets one in the next position provided there is no overlap and you are allowed to place protection there. The newly placed protector will be exactly the same height as the one you are standing on. So this means the next one might be under ground or stuck into a building. If needing to verify a protector is placed and you can't see where it ended up, just click again. There will be a chat message letting you know if you can or not.
Also.... you need to have a bunch of protectors in your inventory to place new ones with the tool.
There are some other tips and tricks with this tool as well. As ExeterDad said, it will place them underground or above-ground at the same height you are standing. When it places them underground, it will clear a spot for that protector and it will silently replace whatever is there.
In addition, if you have a protection block that has others added to it, and you want to have all those people added to the grid of protection you will lay down, you can hold the sneak button (usually shift, maybe it's just the shift key? Haven't tested) while you are clicking the protection placement tool and it will copy all the added names of the one you're standing on into the one that you place.
It won't replace an existing protector with one that has all the names on it, and it won't update an existing protector with all the names though so you have to remove existing protectors if you wish to copy all the names as well.
Thanks everyone, I had a feeling I was missing something cool. Mystery solved.

I probably have some random protection blocks deep in the woods somewhere when I was playing with it. If you come across a protected area in the middle of nowhere with my name on it, let me know. lol
jSnake wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm
I probably have some random protection blocks deep in the woods somewhere when I was playing with it.
LOL mese isn't that hard to get. ;)
jSnake wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm
Thanks everyone, I had a feeling I was missing something cool. Mystery solved.

I probably have some random protection blocks deep in the woods somewhere when I was playing with it. If you come across a protected area in the middle of nowhere with my name on it, let me know. lol
Check out the chat commands. /help all
There is a chat command to light up the cage around a protector by player name. I can't check right now, but that might be available to you guys.
The more the merrier. lol

I only see the teleport commands, time, and warp with help all

That would be pretty nifty though

neither is /spawn in that list though