Official Forum for the HOMETOWN Minetest game server.

Mobile users with trouble accessing tabs (armor, skins, etc)

iPhone and iPad users who have had issues accessing the tabs at the top of the inventory formspec, there is an easy workaround you can perform in order to be able to access your crafting guide, skins, armor, etc.

There is no official Minetest client for iOS, and for some reason the way Minetest appears on some iOS mobile devices is not correct. The HOMETOWN inventory is built off of the default sninv inventory. The inventory tabs are not visible on some iOS devices, but some iOS users have found re-setting the gui_scaling solves the issue. Explaining the process sounds overwhelming for us non-techy folk, so I'm hoping some visuals will show how easy it really is. :geek:

Select "Settings"

Select "Advanced Settings"

Type "gui_scaling" in the search field and select "Search"

Select "Restore Default"

You should automatically see your game screen resized, and when you are in-game you will (hopefully) see the appearance of tabs at the top of your inventory formspec. All done! :D

And this is why ExeterDad should add a /skins and /armor command for those who aren't able to follow this (because there are those people) and those who just don't want to.
GreenDimond wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:37 am
And this is why ExeterDad should add a /skins and /armor command for those who aren't able to follow this (because there are those people) and those who just don't want to.
The formspecs for each of the tabs are made with sfinv. I "could" easily do custom chat commands that would open the inventory in the tab requested. But then we would need a command for each tab. In theory, if a user used /armor to open the armor tab. It would open and the user would be happy. So the user does their business and closes the formspec. Next time they want to craft something the inventory would open with the last tab selected. The armor tab. So I would need to make a chat command for every tab we use so they could navigate. And of course they would need to learn them.
We could however squeeze in a back button like inventory_plus. But then we may as well use inventory_plus.

I'm not willing to go through all that to end up with something I'm not happy with anyway. I'll find a way.
The bad thing is this. I don't have one of these devices to test. And honestly, I don't know of any players on our server that do. Seems like all the complaints are those that are brand new and then just don't stick around as they are having issues.

I've go no dependable way to see if our solution works, or makes it worse.
So, we are stuck.
I do have a idea that's a bit of a hack, I just need to put something together and make it live to see how it works out.
ExeterDad wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:22 pm
And honestly, I don't know of any players on our server that do. Seems like all the complaints are those that are brand new and then just don't stick around as they are having issues.

So, we are stuck.
I do have a idea that's a bit of a hack, I just need to put something together and make it live to see how it works out.
I have both an iPhone 5s (work phone) and an Android phone that will load Hometown. If you want to test things, I can try both for you.
kiko wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:31 am
ExeterDad wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:22 pm
And honestly, I don't know of any players on our server that do. Seems like all the complaints are those that are brand new and then just don't stick around as they are having issues.

So, we are stuck.
I have both an iPhone 5s (work phone) and an Android phone that will load Hometown. If you want to test things, I can try both for you.
What app do you use for Minetest on your Iphone? Worldcraft HD? Micah Has an Ipad and is using an app that has you pay for VIP to do almost everything
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:39 pm
What app do you use for Minetest on your Iphone? Worldcraft HD? Micah Has an Ipad and is using an app that has you pay for VIP to do almost everything
To be honest, I hadn't installed minetest on the iPhone yet. but could if needed.
kiko wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:25 am
LoneWolfHT wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:39 pm
To be honest, I hadn't installed minetest on the iPhone yet. but could if needed.
I installed it on my iPad. Haven't tested yet.
To be honest, they need more devs on mobile. They need to start thinking about iOS, because I don't think it should be allowed to make minetest players pay for anything (unless it's donations). I don't think one person thought of iOS lol.
mcg wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 am
To be honest, they need more devs on mobile. They need to start thinking about iOS, because I don't think it should be allowed to make minetest players pay for anything (unless it's donations). I don't think one person thought of iOS lol.
I got minetest on my iPad for free...
GreenDimond wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 pm
mcg wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 am
I got minetest on my iPad for free...
What's the name? Wolrdcraft HD makes you pay to be able to fly...